Senior Materials Research Scientist
Poste et missions
Where you fit in
The Senior Materials Research Scientist works in global expert team comprising engineers & scientists to identify, develop and deploy materials & corrosion related solutions to all lines of Shell business.
This encompasses the delivery of multi-year research & technology development programs, advanced technical service (ATS) support of Shell assets and projects and coordination with other Shell development groups. The main objective of the role is to provide direct support for Shell’s Electrification of Demand (EoD) moonshot with research and development with regards to direct electrical heating for chemical conversion and energy storage.
What’s the role?
The Senior Materials Scientist will be part of global team encompassing (30+) team members delivering cutting edge R&D and advanced technical support for all lines of Shell business and JVs. The team delivers technology solutions for the full life cycle starting with concept through development, prototyping and deployment; including strategic initiatives in energy transition.
The team relies on a diverse cast of experts within, along with a robust ecosystem of engineers and scientists in allied groups, external vendors, industrial partners and universities. The global and multi-disciplinary nature of the team relies heavily on leveraging digitalization, colleagues’ skills - high levels of collaboration and external ecosystem for its sustained success.
The Senior Materials Research Scientist is expected to:
- Conduct materials development activities related to materials challenges in Electrification of Demand (EoD) including electrification for chemical conversion technologies and heat storage
- Develop deep technical expertise on functional materials for electrical heat generation (semiconductors) and energy storage by means of heat or chemical storage
- Maintain focus on integrated solutions to store intermittent energy, but deliver on demand to Shell assets and external customers
- Deliver technical report and IP creation (patents, publications, trade secrets) when suitable
- Keep perspective on new developments in the external world and internalize these with the department - as and when appropriate
- Provide long-term view of the research needs around EoD moonshot initiative
- Deliver programs from inception through to deployment with solutions integrated with other technical disciplines and organizations
What we need from you
- Advanced degree in Physics or Materials Science, preferably at Ph.D. level in a relevant field (e.g. condensed matter physics)
- Expert knowledge in electrical transport mechanisms and quantum mechanics with practical knowledge in semiconductors and resistors
- Ability to act as solutions integrator combining different expertise as well as by working with external academic knowledge centers
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to effectively motivate individuals from diverse background and cultural environments
- Hands on mentality and flexibility essential with strong project delivery mindset and high sense of personal accountability to deliver commitments
Shell Nederland BV is a platform for international collaboration, with Shell offering direct employment to around ten thousand people in the Netherlands alone, including roughly 2,800 non-Dutch employees from around 80 countries. Diversity is key at Shell Nederland, and our employees reflect the innovation that stems from a diverse workforce. By joining Shell Nederland, you will benefit from an unrivalled industry-leading development programme that will see you tap into a pool of expert knowledge that will help propel your career. Shell Nederland is the holding company of most Shell companies operating in the Netherlands. Shell Nederland also has an advisory and coordinating role in numerous areas.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Join us and you’ll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future – whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we’ll take it from there
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice. We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.